Samsung American Legion Scholarship
To show its appreciation for U.S. veterans who came to Korea's aid during its struggle against communist forces during the Korean War, worldwide electronics leader Samsung endowed a scholarship fund of $5 million in 1966. The American Legion administers the Samsung American Legion Scholarship Program, which is funded by the interest and other income from the endowment.
Every year, $300,000 in Samsung American Legion Scholarships are awarded to nearly 100 American Legion Boys State and American Legion Auxiliary Girls State
participants. These scholarships are for undergraduate study only and may be used for tuition, books, fees, room, and board. Scholarship Deadline:
Typically, applications are submitted to the program staff upon the participants’ arrival at American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State
- Applicants must be high school juniors who attend either American Legion Auxiliary Girls State or American Legion Boys State.
- Applicants must be direct descendants (i.e., child, grandchild, great-grandchild, or legally adopted child) of a U.S. wartime veteran who served on active duty during one or more of the periods of war officially designated as eligibility dates for membership in The American Legion.
- Applicants with membership to the American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of the American Legion will receive a bonus point. Or, they can receive a bonus point by uploading a membership card of a parent. No more than one bonus point for an application. Award amounts Award Amounts
Samsung scholarships may be used for undergraduate studies and applied toward tuition, books, fees, and room and board. Winners are selected according to academic record, involvement in school and community service.
- Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War veterans will receive 3 bonus points.
- Scholarship winners are selected based on academic record, involvement in school and community activities, community service, and financial need.
Ten National Scholars receive $10,000 each (two from each region) Ten National Runners-Up receive $5,000 each (two from each region) Remaining Department Finalists receive $1,250 each guaranteed Deadline Scholarships are due no later than the first day of a participant’s American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program. All applications must be submitted using the online application system by 11:59PM on this day. Applications will not be modified after the due date or given a deadline extension under any circumstance.
Participants should check their individual program coordinator as to whether or not the coordinator desires them to bring a hard copy of their submitted application materials. If a hard copy is required, participants will need to complete their application PRIOR to arrival at their respective program.