Spirit of Youth Scholarship Fund
The Spirit of Youth Scholarship Fund is an umbrella that supports three separate scholarship opportunities for participants in American Legion Auxiliary programs. One is for American Legion Auxiliary Junior members, another for the Honorary National Junior Division Vice Presidents, and one is for participants in the American Legion Auxiliary Girls Nation program.
View Current Scholarship Recipients
The application deadline for the Spirit of Youth Scholarship for Junior members is March 1 of each year. Recipients are informed in late spring. The other two scholarships supported by this fund are awarded in conjunction with a national meeting.
Spirit of Youth Scholarship for Junior Members
The American Legion Auxiliary annually provides one Junior member in each of the five American Legion Auxiliary divisions with a $5,000 scholarship.
- Candidates for this award shall be/shall have been Junior members of the American Legion Auxiliary, have held membership in the American Legion Auxiliary for the past three consecutive years, and must be a paid member for the current membership year. Applicant must continue their membership in the American Legion Auxiliary during the scholarship period.
- Applicants must be in their senior year of high school.
- This is a scholarship to attend an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants must be of good character and have grades that meet entrance requirements at the institution of their choice. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA using a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants must present the completed application to their local American Legion Auxiliary unit president ON OR BEFORE MARCH 1.
- Judging, at all levels, shall be on the following basis:
- Character/Leadership 30%
- Essay/Application 30%
- Academic Achievement 40%