67th Girls Nation Congress
To reduce the effects of the obesity epidemic in America.
IN THE SENATE OF GIRLS NATION
Senators Masoom and Srok of Wisconsin introduced the following bill; which was referred to Committee .
BE IT ENACTED BY THE SENATE OF GIRLS NATION ASSEMBLED.
SECTION 1. TITLE
This act may be cited as the "Healthy Youth of America Act".
SECTION 2. PURPOSE
The Healthy Youth of America Act will aid in the reduction of the number of cases of obesity found in teenagers in the United States of America.
SECTION 3. DEFINITIONS
Middle school consists of the grade levels of 6-8.
Physical education is instruction in the care and development of the body ranging from simple callisthenic exercises to a course of study providing training in gymnastics, and the performance and management of athletic games.
SECTION 4. HEALTHY YOUTH OF AMERICA ACT
The Healthy Youth of America Act entails that:
(A) All public schools under the jurisdiction of the United States of America will offer:
(1) Students with mandatory physical education courses from the grade levels of 6-12.
(a) Should a middle school begin from a lower grade level, the class will not be mandated until the student has reached the 6th grade.
(B) If the student is physically involved in a school sport, he or she will be exempt from this requirement.
(1) This exception does not apply to those holding a managerial or administrative team position.
(2) This exception is applicable to those participating in marching band during parade season.
(C) Minimum physical activity time requirements shall be:
(1) Two class hours a week unless the schedule permits three class hours a week at alternate-day scheduled schools.
(2) Three hours a week at standard-scheduled schools.
(3) 180 minutes a week at block-scheduled schools.
(D) If a public school's current physical education program cannot sustain the new minimum requirement for physical education instruction, federal aid will be granted for needed resources.
(1) Each individual situation will be reviewed by a committee separately created by the passing of this bill.
(a) Members of the committee will be elected by the Senate.
(b) All funding to the committee will come from the federal budget
(2) All grants will come from the federal budget.
SECTION 5. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall be effective for all citizens of the United States of America in the grade levels of 6-12 on or after January 1, 2014.
“Girls Nation has embedded, without doubt, an everlasting visage on my heart, for no experience can even compare..." – Siyu Liu, ALA Girls Nation Senator